Thursday, March 29, 2007

Comment on a Neanderthal Blog

Like Brad Hoh, I was also confused when I did not find an obvious reference to religion in Steve Milchen's article on Singing Neanderthals. I was able to find some connections, but I had not considered the interesting connections that Brad made. I like his idea of directly linking the "Hmmmmm" singing to our singing in church. Like the Neanderthals, it is an important part of the church service and connects the congregation as one voice.

I also liked the link between Neanderthal burial rituals with our funeral service. Rarely would people ever agree to accept our funeral traditions as rituals, but comparing it to the burial rites o Neanderthals they are quite similar. It just goes to show that even though society and history changes, religion is one of the few aspects of people's lives that persists in that the basic backbone of it does not change.

No comments: