Thursday, April 26, 2007

Response to Imtiaz's Post on "Metropolis"

I agree with Imtiaz's post on Metropolis, posted on April 26. Imtiaz stated that he viewed Metropolis completely in a religious context. He also noticed the director's attempt to reach to specifically to the wealthy class and warn them of the suppression of the lower class and what dangers the future holds.
I really thought it interesting what Imtiaz noted about the symbolism of the Eternal Garden. He thought the Garden represented Heaven (Upper World) and the factory/Lower Class as Hell (Lower World). I immediately took the Eternal Garden to mean Eden, but I like Imtiaz's interpretation better.
It's also very interesting that Imtiaz compared Jon Fredersen to God. My immediate reaction was that of course he couldn't be God because he was evil. Yet, as I thought about it more I realize that this comparison is relevant. For example, in the Bible God is seen as all merciful, etc. etc. But in the Qur'an God is noted in two starkly different ways: he is seen as merciful but more frequently seen as a wrathful God, much more like Jon Fredersen. In order to be fully convinced in the comparison of Jon Fredersen to God, I would have to see a more merciful side to Jon Fredersen.

No comments: